Friday, June 22, 2012

That's Life. That's Marriage.






We are in. I'm now a West LA-er. Something I never thought I'd call myself.

The entire time I've lived in Los Angeles (about 13 years), I've lived in the valley. If you're not familiar with LA, the valley is more suburban. It's still pretty busy and can still have a lot of traffic, but it is generally slightly cheaper to live there and isn't as crowded as the rest of LA.

Well, we are now smack dab in the middle of the city. For someone who really wants to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, I've been having a tough time adjusting.

There are a lot of angry drivers here. A lot. It doesn't help that I tend to take it personally when people are rude drivers or are visibly upset with me while driving. I'm working on just letting it go, though. I know it probably has nothing to do with me (usually, I think!), they're probably just having a rough day.

But that is life. And that is definitely marriage. Making sacrifices, compromising, and remembering what it is all for... the one you love. That is what I keep reminding myself. And when I look at that handsome guy with his perpetual smirk and dreamy eyes, and his tender heart, (ok, I'm done with the mushy stuff) I'm glad to do it.

He doesn't have to drive in hours of traffic to and from work anymore, to come home exhausted and just mentally worn out. We have more time together, and it's a whole new area to explore together. That makes this more than worth it.

I'm slowly starting to see the perks of living here. Just the other night we found a cute little hole-in-the-wall Mexican/Salvadoran restaurant that ended up having delicious food. There are a ton of cute little places like that around us. One of the things I didn't like about where we used to live, was the lack of independently-owned coffee shops. Sometimes I just want some delicious espresso, and it was also a drive to get to a really good coffee shop when we were living in the valley.

Also, our apartment is so much more unique than our last place. It's old and it has tons of fun little nooks and storage places. I also love that it's on the first floor since that means no more dragging piles of laundry up and down stairs.

It'll take some getting used to, but I'm sure I'll grow to love it. Or, we'll realize it just isn't the place for us and we'll move.

I definitely want to share a photo tour of our new place just as soon as we've got everything set up and put away.

See you on Monday with a new post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will not appear immediately. Thanks!