Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Potato Eaters


Meeting around the table

I want to do a quick post before the week is over. :D

Lately the weeks have just been flying by for us! Since I'm trying to steadily increase the amount of posts per week that I do, I wanted to squeeze this one in just in case I don't get the one I've been planning to put up, before Friday.

I absolutely love this picture. Before I explain what's going on here, or what was happening, I just wanted to post this photo on its own. 

When I took this picture, I had been staring at what was going on around this table, for a while. It immediately reminded me of something, but I wasn't sure what. Later, when I was reviewing the pictures on my camera, I realized it reminded me of a painting. I couldn't quite remember which painting it was or who exactly it was by, but I knew it reminded me of a painting I had seen before. I kept thinking about it for a few days afterward, and I still couldn't put my finger on it.

Then, a couple days ago it hit me! 

When I was about 7 years old, my aunt gave me a bunch of books about different artists. She gave me one on Rembrandt, Monet, Van Gogh, and a few others. You know, those big coffee table books that no one really looks at all that closely. Well, I LOOOVED these books. They were so big and heavy and fancy looking that I poured over them for days and days. 

I realized, THAT'S where I had seen the painting that this picture I took, reminded me of. It was this painting: 


The Potato Eaters, (1885) by Vincent Van Gogh. 

Both scenes showing people gathered around a table, with a single light. :)

I love how similar the two scenes are! The photograph should actually be named The Pizza Eaters, because that's what Michael, his dad, uncle, coworker and friend were all doing last weekend when we went camping by the beach. 

Now, THAT was an adventure in itself, which I will be sharing another day. 

Thanks for coming by!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will not appear immediately. Thanks!