Friday, April 27, 2012

A Busy Week and Homemade Coffee Creamer

This week just flew by for us. I'm so glad I get to relax and slow down this weekend!

Michael's been working a lot, which is great since work always slows down during the off season. I've been busy editing photos and just taking it easy.

I've also been thinking about expanding on a lot of ideas I've had whirling around in my head. I'm thinking of selling some vintage items online. I love finding treasures at thrift stores and often I'll bring something home and then eventually feel like it's time to pass it on. And often, I'll find some really awesome stuff! The thing is, most of the stuff I want to part with is still in perfectly good condition. Instead of just throwing it out or storing it until I can find someone who could use it, I figured, "why not sell it?"

I plan on continuing to donate my clothes and other household items we don't need anymore, I think I'm just going to sell some of the really great vintage items I've come across and no longer want. I still plan on keeping photography as my main focus, but it's fun to have projects and side "jobs". (doesn't feel like a job if it's fun!)

I've got some other ideas I'm tossing around, but I'll have to reveal those when they're more solid plans! ;)

Now, for my recipe this week!

A couple weeks ago, I got a coupon for a free bottle of coffee creamer in the mail (I signed up to receive one on Facebook).  Michael and I usually just use whole milk and sugar in our coffee since creamer is one of those things we cut back on to save a few dollars here and there. Since I had the coupon for the free bottle I decided it would be a treat.

The thing is, I'm all too aware of what is in that coffee creamer: ingredients I can hardly pronounce, chemicals I've never heard of, and hydrogenated oils.

Yuck.

I've always known coffee creamers are full of strange things I've never even heard of (they even say dairy free) , but I just ignored it and tried to enjoy my coffee. Well, not anymore! I just can't justify feeding it to myself and my family.

I decided to make my own coffee creamer from now on! I did some hunting around (here's one site that has some good ones) and research and after finding a few recipes and sort of creating my own, I made a coffee creamer I really enjoy and tastes better than the kind you buy at the market. Yum!

So here's the recipe for you to try out. I plan on experimenting with different flavors and coming up with different combinations of flavorings. I'll definitely be updating with what I come up with!

French Vanilla Coffee Creamer


What you'll need:







  • 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (or 1 1/4 cups)
  • 1 C milk (I used whole, but anything would work)
  • 1 Tbs vanilla extract
  • 1/2 Tbs maple syrup (or extract)
In a medium sauce pan whisk together the two types of milk over medium heat. Right before it boils, turn the heat off and add the flavorings. Whisk. Pour into glass containers and allow to cool. Keeps in the fridge for about 10 days. Enjoy!



Next time I think I'll try using a vanilla bean and using actual maple syrup. I made this for the first time late at night, and couldn't run out to pick up the different ingredients. So, I just used what I already had.

I also LOVE pumpkin pie spice, so I think I'll try that one next. 



Let me know how yours turns out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will not appear immediately. Thanks!