Friday, April 13, 2012

Lemon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts



frying up some brussels sprouts


So, the other day on Instagram I had a really exciting thing happen! 

For those of you who don't know what Instagram is, it's a really fun app for sharing photos with friends and exploring other people's photos. I would say it's like Twitter, but instead of 160 characters, you have a photo and a caption. You can learn more about it, here and find me on there under: thelavenderfield, and if you don't have a smartphone, find me here.

Anywho... I often update my Instagram feed with photos of what I'm doing, scenes I think are pretty, silly things my husband's doing, and of course... what I'm eating. I love food, so it's only natural! 

The other day, a very nice lady came across my feed and asked me how I had prepared the brussels sprouts I had photographed. She explained that she had NEVER enjoyed brussels sprouts but that they looked really delicious in my photo (they totally are!). I happily sent her the recipe and insisted that she let me know how she liked them once she made them herself, and she agreed to get back to me. 

Well, about a week after that, she messaged me on IG to let me know that she had LOVED my recipe and that she was sad that she had to share the sprouts with the rest of her family! lol She then asked me if I had a food blog somewhere since she saw my photos of some other dishes I had made and posted. 

Needless to say, I was so flattered! I didn't think my recipe for the sprouts was anything special since the preparation is so simple and is really just a combination of flavors that I really enjoy. But hey, when I'm searching for new recipes to try out, that's pretty much what I look for: simple with good flavor! 

So, all this to say, I will now be posting my recipes, on occasion! As of right now, I'm unable to make it a regular series, but I will do my best to post more recipes as I perfect them. Although, I would like to keep this primarily as a photo blog, I'm happy to share here!

For the inaugural recipe post, I think it's only fitting to share my brussels sprouts recipe. Enjoy!



Lemon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
  • About 6 smallish fresh, brussels sprouts (if they're small, they're more tender and less bitter)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 T unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • juice from half a medium lemon
  • 2 T grated parmesan cheese


Slice off the hard ends of the sprouts, then slice them in half, longways. Warm up the butter and olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and toss in the sprouts. Stir them around to coat, and sprinkle with garlic powder, a dash of salt and pepper, and squeeze about half the juice of the lemon. Fry for about 10 mins., stirring occasionally. When sprouts are tender (they'll be a little soft when poked with a fork), remove from heat. Put in a bowl and sprinkle with parmesan and squeeze some more lemon juice onto them. Add some more seasonings, if needed. Enjoy!

I usually make these as a snack for myself. The great thing is that you can totally tweak this recipe to suit your tastes. Sometimes I'll add chili powder, and sometimes I'll have to add a little more salt and pepper depending on the sprouts. 

Let me know, if you try them out!

Have a great weekend, everybody. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will not appear immediately. Thanks!